If you are interested in obtaining a cheap borescope that performs well then you may have your work cut out for you. Cheap borescopes purchased as new may prove a poor choice if you are not careful. Models of borescope that are of inadequate construction may prove less than satisfying if certain specifications are not met.
The key specification you want to look at is resolution. Low resolution is a problem with low cost borescopes vs the more expensive high quality borescopes. If you buy a cheap borescope and it has low resolution (clarity); the image you get tends to be distorted and you will not be able to see your image clearly. When shopping for a cheap borescope look for a 10,000 pixel resolution if you want an image you will be able to view clearly.
Factors Affecting the Price of a Borescope
The materials used to manufacture a inexpensive borescope may be plastic. This is not always a problem if the plastic is a high impact, durable plastic. Using this type of plastic greatly reduces the cost and can produce a good quality borescope. You will have to be more careful how you handle your borescope if you go this route.
There is a borescope made of very thin plastic on the market. It is usually manufactured as a disposable type. If you plan on using your borescope over time this will not work for you. A cheap borescope like this does have a use in medical endoscopic procedures that require a onetime use cheap borescope. You should read product descriptions thoroughly so you are not confused about what you are buying.
Other things that affect borescope price are:
- The flexibility of the shaft will affect the borescope price. If a cheap borescope is your goal and you will not be navigating around bends or curves; then a rigid borescope can be purchased for much less than many flexible ones.
- The length and diameter of the borescope will affect the overall cost of the cheap borescope. A longer length and/or smaller diameter scope will cost more. Try to purchase the smallest and shortest borescope you need to perform the task(s) you want it to.
Three Good Low Cost Borescope Options
1. A cheap borescope alternative is the Sight-Pipe borescope. Made of all one piece; it is usually inexpensive, portable and easy to repair or replace. It is not extremely durable, but if a light application is used, this low cost borescope might suit your needs. It has fairly good resolution for a borescope in the low price range. For the many people who will not be using their borescope frequently or commercially; this could be a good option for a borescope purchase.
2. Another alternative to buying a cheap borescope is to take a look at used or previously leased borescopes. If a company no longer has a need for their borescope or are looking to upgrade to a newer model, you might be able to obtain a cheap borescope from them. When considering a used cheap borescope you should compare the same or model with very similar qualities in a new version. This will tell you if you are actually getting a cheap borescope with good features.
Examine the borescope for any obvious wear and tear especially of the lenses. You should make sure the cheap borescope includes all the equipment it originally came with.
3. One little known way save money and still get a borescope to perform the task you would like to accomplish; is borescope rental. Some equipment rental stores carry borescopes. While you won’t own the borescope; you can get a cheap borescope with all the features of the expensive one since you are borrowing not buying.
If a borescope is what you need but you are on a tight budget; a cheap borescope is available if you look for it. With some research and diligence hopefully you will find what you are looking for at a price you can afford.